The winners of this year's Scarecrow Contest are:
Cross Creek’s Elementary Dechman – Mobley 3rd grade class as winner of the School category. (entry picture far left)
Haley Bozeman won the Individual category. (entry picture near left)
Thank you to all who participated in this event.
2012 Contest information:
The Pebble Hill Scarecrow Contest is free to the public. Entrants can sign up in one of the following categories: Individuals (age 14 and up), Families (all ages), and School classes (grades 1-6). Scarecrows will be on display at Pebble Hill Plantation through the month of October.
Dates, Deadlines and Entries:
Fees: No Fees
Entry forms must be received no later than Sept 20, 2012.
Entry forms should be mailed to the attention of Lori Curtis at the following address:
Pebble Hill Plantation
P.O. Box 830
Thomasville, GA 31799
Entry forms may also be dropped off in person at the Pebble Hill Visitors Center between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Tuesday thru Saturday until Sept 20, 2012.
Date of delivery and installation – Sept 26, 27, 28, 2012 between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Call Lori at 229-227-5390 for weekend appointment. Please call in advance
Date of removal – Nov 1 thru 3, 2012 between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Exhibition Dates – The month of October
- Scarecrows must be durable and able to withstand sun, wind and rain. Choose your materials carefully. All decorations must be firmly attached to your scarecrow. We recommend a 2x4 piece of lumber for the central body; a broomstick or 2x4 for the arms. We will supply a post already placed in the ground. You will need to bring rope or wire to attach your scarecrow to the post. Additional props, such as straw bales, corn shocks, etc. are allowed as long as they can fit into a space no larger than 6x6 feet. Pebble Hill will not supply these additional props.
- You are welcome to visit your scarecrow to keep it maintained throughout its period of exhibition.
- We reserve the right to remove any entries that do not maintain their ability to be displayed. All entries must be handmade. No commercial costumes, rubber masks, plastic masks, etc. will be allowed. Electricity will NOT be provided.
- As part of your display, be sure to make a sign with: the name of your entry, and your name, or the name of your group. Your sign should not exceed 11 x 17 inches. No advertising or political statements allowed.
- The Pebble Hill Scarecrow Contest area is family friendly. Scarecrow makers should keep that in mind. Monsters, gruesome, bloody or exceptionally scary entries will be disqualified.
“Pebble Hill Plantation reserves the right to disqualify entries they feel to be distasteful or not family friendly”
Visitors to the Plantation will be voting daily to decide the winners, along with members of the Pebble Hill staff. Guests will receive a ballot when they purchase a ticket to tour the plantation grounds or main house and then place it in the ballot box.
Prizes will be awarded to the top three winners in each category. These prizes will consist of cash plus a special gift or gifts from local merchants around the Thomasville area. Area merchants who have donated prizes include the following:
- Savannah Moon Bakery & Cafe
- Salon Rob
- Relish & Dash
- The Scoop
- Plantation Deli
Winners will be announced and prizes awarded at 2:00 p.m. October 31, 2012 at Pebble Hill Plantation Visitors Center. Winners do not need to be present to win. If you are not present and win an award, you will be contacted by phone. Ribbons will be placed on all the winning entries.